Sunday, July 15, 2012

If you're going to San Francisco...

...be sure to wear some organic, biodegradable, sustainably farmed flowers in your hair. It's the end of week one in SF and having a great time so far. There's a lot to learn (pedestrians walk whenever, wherever they want so be careful if you're driving) and lots of explore (mostly food-based). After sending photos one by one to friends and family, I've decided just to upload them all here.
Wednesday, July 11. Boyfriend left me by train, so to I chose salty delicious pork products to fill the empty void.

Lunch later on Wednesday the 11th. Salty pork products accompanied by Acme bread (yum), cheese, nectarine, and jalapeno stuffed olives. I'm probably the only person who doesn't buy cereal and bread first thing. No, instead I walk through Trader Joes and decide marinated olives and a good Malbec are a good start to my pantry.

Discovered a market by my house where, again, I pass on potatoes and go straight for the Japanese eggplant and leeks.

Bored with Trader Joes, I discover Clement Street in the Richmond District (across the Golden Gate Park from my house). There are a bunch of ahh-mazing Asian markets with crazy produce (dragon fruit, lychees, bitter melon), offal (oxtail, pork belly, tongue), and walls lined with every type of seafood imaginable (yes, even turtles).

The final choices. Made roommates dinner that night of Chinese long beans, manila clams, and braised pork belly.

Friday, July 13. Dancing and drinks at a bar somewhere in the Mission. Everyone here drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon (it's only $2) so I jumped on the bandwagon. The headache is not worth the $15 I saved on good beer. Lesson learned.

Siobhan (roomie) went to Tartine and brought home delicious treats! An eclair and the best banana cream pie I've ever tasted.

The bread from Tartine...fresh out of the oven. Crispy outside, chewy inside. I dare say it's perfect. This was dinner last night along with some cheeses from the cheese shop a block from our house (danger, I know!), fruit, and butternut squash soup.

If anyone wants to buy me a present, these would be good. Whale knives!

At the General Store in Outer Sunset. Cute little shop with a greenhouse in back. Now we want to make one in our backyard and fill it with tomatoes.

Inside of the greenhouse

Out of reclaimed windows and wood. I think I can do this...

Mom, I know you like this.

Siobhan

The beach at Outer Sunset. We put our names on the waiting list for brunch at Outerland's in Outer Sunset. Took 2 hours to get a seat, so we went to the beach to kill time.

Not as cold as it looks.

Roomie Jo snapping some photos.

There's some great street art in SF. I liked this little nugget.

Best drink ever. I left my heart at the bottom of my hot apple cider-lemonade-bourbon cup.

Eggs in jail. Like eggs in a nest (V for Vendetta style) but with criss-crossed bacon on top for the jail bars.

Yummy bread with eggs and heirloom tomatoes. One of the wines on the list at this place had an icon next to it indicating that it was "biodynamic". Confused, I asked the waiter. His explain included witches and magic, cow hooves and moon cycles. When we asked if it was sustainable as well (it didn't have the "sustainable" icon next to it) he replied without batting an eyelash, "magic is a renewable resource." He got a good tip. Siobhan and I concluded that it wouldn't make sense to go through all the trouble of grinding hooves and antlers to make something more organic-than-organic if they had to chop down rainforests to grow endangered antelope whose feet they need to make it biodynamic. It feels like an episode of Portlandia here.

More street art by my house. 


Xoxo. More later. -Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment